Understanding location blocks and try files

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Wed Jan 22 19:02:39 UTC 2014

On 22 January 2014 18:31, AD7six <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> What confuses me is why this example is a 404:
>
>> curl -i http://nginx.dev/apples.json
>> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>> Server: nginx/1.4.4
>
> As can be seen in the log [3] there is an invalid response from /index.php.
> If I disable the location block adding cache headers for json files [4]
> though, the response is fine.
>
> Can someone shed some light as to why this happens?

I was half-way through writing a response when I noticed I'd slightly
misunderstood part of what you wrote. I thought about going back and
checking what I'd missed but to be brutally honest, the horrible maze
of includes I'd had to work my way through once already put me /right/
off!

Suggestions:

1) Have a very careful read through http://nginx.org/r/location and
nginx.org/r/try_files.

2) Simplify your problem so you can present it inline to the list,
without external links and without *all* those includes! You'll get
significantly more interest in your problem that way, and may actually
discover the solution yourself ;-)

Cheers,
Jonathan