KeepAlive and Connection closed

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jul 8 21:52:22 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 03:42:55PM -0400, matt_l wrote:

> Hello
> I am new to nginx. I will be taking the nginx training next week. In the
> meantime I was wondering if i was implementing the following properly.
> I have an nginx instance that is sitting between my server and a client.
> The client requires that I close the connection when I respond to it.
> The server requires that I keep the connection alive for performance
> reason.
> Between the server and nginx, I have set up the keepalive option.
> Example:
> upstream a-name {
>         server XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:12360;
>         keepalive 1024;
> }
> Between the client and the nginx, I have set keepalive_requests to 1;
> Example:
> server {
>         listen       12360;
>         access_log /var/log/nginx/access-a-name-12360.log;
>         keepalive_requests 1;

Recommended way to disable keepalive connections is to use,
keepalive_timeout with the zero value:

          keepalive_timeout 0;

See http://nginx.org/r/keepalive_timeout.

Though "keepalive_requests 1" should work too.

[...]

> Am I doing the right thing?
> Or can I have nginx add "Connection: close\r\n" to the header when it sends
> the response back to the client.

The "Connection: close" header will be automatically added to the
response if keepalive is disabled.

http://nginx.org/