Getting rewritten and encoded/escaped url in nginx module

Jayadev C jayadev at
Tue Jun 3 21:08:36 UTC 2014

The problem is ngx_http_proxy doesn't do that either, once rewrite is applied the url remains decoded (or I am not reading the code correctly).  In fact escaping uri back is a bit tricky since you have to split the rewritten url to segments and apply encoding again (which would require looking at the original url to know the correct number of '/'s).

Anybody had attempted doing something like this ? or is there an easier way.

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 10:17 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 09:42:41AM -0700, Jayadev C wrote:

> Hi,
> I am writing a nginx proxy module and want to grab the url which
> is urlencoded (as the client sends it) and also after rewrite
> rules are applied.  My typical url looks like :
> path1/path2/path3/urlencoded(key)?args, after rewriting the url
> I would love to have is something like :
> newpath1/newpath2/newpath3/../urlencoded(key)?args.
> Currently , r->uri  is decoded rewritten uri, r->unparsed_uri is
> encoded but not rewritten.
> I read on the forum that nginx decodes the url for rewrite, is
> there a handy internal function I can use encode the rewritten
> url back. A simple use of ngx_escape_uri(r->uri) with different
> parameters doesn't do what I want out of the box.

The ngx_escape_uri(r->uri) _is_ the internal function you should
use if you need encoded URI.

If in doubt, try looking, e.g., into the ngx_http_proxy_create_request()
function to see how it's done there.

Maxim Dounin

nginx mailing list
nginx at