Proxy_Pass to another vhost on same machine

paulg1981 nginx-forum at
Mon Jun 9 17:53:11 UTC 2014

I am attempting to use with client certificate auth as a
springboard for other sites on the same server. I am using client certs with
my iphone (and other browsers) to skip the password auth and be more secure.
The first two proxy_pass statements work fine (sickbeard and couchpotato)
but the next (munin) gives the error 400 Bad Request No required SSL
certificate was sent. If I put the address
( in my address bar it works fine? I don't
understand why it is requesting the client cert for the subdomain that
doesn't use client auth. The uses basic auth.

Secondly I want to access the from and
not be prompted for the basic auth password. So I want to include the
authorization in the proxying.

Any help you all can provide would be great. I hope I explained my issue
well enough!

server {
		listen my.ip.address:80;
		rewrite        ^ https://$server_name$request_uri? permanent;

server {
		listen my.ip.address:443 ssl spdy;
		ssl_certificate /etc/ssl/certs/my.pem;
		ssl_certificate_key /etc/ssl/private/my.key;
		root /var/www/ca.thefamilygarrison;
        	index index.php index.html index.htm;
		pagespeed off;
		ssl_client_certificate /etc/nginx/clientauth/ca.crt;
		ssl_verify_client on;

		location ~ \.php$ {
                fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;
                fastcgi_index index.php;
                include fastcgi_params;
		location /sickbeard {
		proxy_pass http://my.ip.address:65007/sickbeard;