Nginx Windows High Traffic issues

c0nw0nk nginx-forum at
Thu Jun 26 13:41:15 UTC 2014

So i spent a while on this one and turns out the problem is a little
function in nginx's core called "worker_rlimit_nofile".

But for me on windows (i don't know if it does it for linux users too.)
grinds my site down to a halt unless you increase its value.

Why does it do this ?

Even with the following nginx builds for high traffic production enviorments It still seems like the worker_rlimit_nofile is
to small by default on nginx start up so unless you know to add the command
into your nginx config with some insanely high value to it your site will
seem slow as hell.

I read on stackoverflow the following.
events {
    worker_connections  19000;  # It's the key to high performance - have a
lot of connections available

worker_rlimit_nofile    20000;  # Each connection needs a filehandle (or 2
if you are proxying)

But in my config i set the following just to test
events {
    worker_connections  16384;
	multi_accept on;
worker_rlimit_nofile	9990000000;

And everything still works fine can anyone explain so i can understand why
this value is so small in the first place ?