Nginx Windows High Traffic issues

Paul Schlie schlie at comcast.net
Fri Jun 27 22:44:18 UTC 2014

I don't know if what you're experiencing is related to a problem I'm still tracking down, specifically that multiple redundant read-streams and corresponding temp_files are being opened to read the same file from a backend server for what appears to be a single initial get request by a client for a large mp4 file which was not yet been locally reverse proxy cashed by nginx as an substantially static file. This appears to end up creating 6-10x more traffic and disk activity than is actually required to cache the single file (depending on how many redundant read-stream/temp_files are created.  If a server is attempting to reverse proxy many such relatively large files, it could easily saturate nginx with network/disk traffic until most such files requested were eventually locally cached.