Nginx Windows High Traffic issues

c0nw0nk nginx-forum at
Mon Jun 30 18:20:48 UTC 2014

Maxim Dounin Wrote:
> Hello!
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 12:38:12AM -0400, c0nw0nk wrote:
> > Latest picture
> >

> > Everything utilizing the read's and writes is nginx and when i set
> the
> > following buffers i get massive spikes like that.
> >
> > location ~ \.mp4$ {
> > mp4;
> > mp4_buffer_size 9000m;
> > mp4_max_buffer_size 9000m;
> > }
> Note that when using mp4 module, you should not set
> mp4_buffer_size too high.  It's initial size of a buffer used to
> read mp4 files, and if a value specified is bigger than size of
> the moov atom in an mp4 file, reading extra bytes will be
> meaningless.  It is generally recommended to set it to something
> like 512k (the default) or slightly larger (1m, 2m).  Larger
> values make sense only if most of your mp4 files have huge moov
> atoms.
> Note well that if you use mp4 pseudo streaming, you should make
> sure that mp4 files are correctly prepared - i.e., with moov atom
> placed before mdat.  While nginx will be able to work with files
> with moov atom at the end, it won't be able to do this
> efficiently.
> --
> Maxim Dounin
> nginx at

All videos are already set out like that i also use the following python
script to ensure that they have meta data at the start of the file instead
of the end.

I did a simple test to confirm it is I/O usage due to large files i run
nginx same traffic conditions but i block "deny all;" to mp4, flv files and
my i/o usage by nginx is about 1mb max and a few kb so i can confirm it is
large files that are doing it i am currently looking into what would be
better for me a SSD or a SAS 15K RPM.