Nginx - PHP FPM Server load is very high

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Thu Mar 6 23:41:47 UTC 2014

On 6 March 2014 19:18, agriz <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> The server is struggling to handle the traffic.
> I have 8GB ram. Quad core server.
[snip]
> Right now, the load is about 50

I very much doubt your problem is a simple one which can be solved by
tweaking your nginx config. I say this because you have (50/4 == 12.5)
times as much work to do on this server as you have CPU cores to do it
on. It looks very much like you need ... more hardware!

You may be able to offload some static file serving from PHP to
nginx/etc via X-Accel-Redirect; you might cache some content using
Nginx's (or some other) HTTP caching. But you'll need to really
understand your application in order to do them correctly, and no-one
here can tell you /exactly/ how to implement them for your situation.

If you want to fix this quickly, buy/lease/provision more hardware/VMs
now. If you want to fix it cheaply, you'll need to spend time
investigating what the PHP is doing that's taking the time, hence how
you can help it do it more efficiently (X-Accel-Redirect) or not at
all (caching).

Cheers,
Jonathan