fastcgi_response_time ?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Mon Mar 10 22:34:50 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 01:51:54PM +0100, etienne.champetier at wrote:

> Hi
> I'm using nginx in front of fastcgi servers (fastcgi_pass ...),
> I would like to have in my logs the response_time and the fastcgi_response_time (which doesn't exist),
> is it possible?
> I've tried upstream_response_time but it's always the same value as fastcgi_response_time,
> even with slow connection (simulated with Network Link Conditioner on a mac)

There are two variables available:

- $request_time, time elapsed since first bytes were read from a

- $upstream_response_time, time elapsed since a request was sent to
  an upstream till last bytes of a response were got from an

Most noticeable difference between these variables is that
$request_time includes time taken to read a request from a client.
This difference can be easily seen by typing a request by hand,
line by line, in telnet.

Maxim Dounin