Some Issues with Configuration

Francis Daly francis at
Tue Mar 11 08:51:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 09:53:53PM +0000, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

Hi there,

> Thanks for some helpful answers so far.  I'm sure I'm neary there.
> Just need a bit more help.  I'm getting error 404 when I try to load a
> Wordpress page.

You can make it easier for people to help you if you don't force them
to guess what you are doing.

"I make this request" -- you didn't say, so I'll assume "/blog/index.php"

"I get this response" -- you did say http 404

"I want this response" -- presumably the php-processed output of one
specific file on your filesystem, but you didn't say which one.

So, given that the request is /blog/index.php, which one of your six
location blocks will nginx use to process the request?

> location = /favicon.ico {
> location = /robots.txt {
> location /var/www {
> location ~ .php$ {
> location ~ [^/]\.php(/|$) {
> location ~* ^.+.(js|css|png|jpg|jpeg|gif|ico)$ {

The docs are at

What is the configuration in that location that tells nginx how to
process the request?

Is it what you want it to be?

Francis Daly        francis at