nginx module dev: loadbalancer vs upstream handler options

Jayadev C jayadev at ymail.com
Wed Mar 12 19:31:42 UTC 2014

First time here, was looking at supporting http protocol (using nginx) over our custom zeromq server talking protocol buf. Read the excelled tutorial by Evan and was also looking at few similar plugins to get an idea.

One confusion I have is, I see some plugins like memcache/redis ones where the http request and response parsing is done by upstream handler modules, while I also see some modules like https://github.com/chaoslawful/drizzle-nginx-module where the request/response handling is done by peer.init_upstream class of functions.  My typical flow would : parse http request -> convert to protobuf request object -> send to zmq server -> {nginx event notification} -> convert protobuf response back to http response -> respond to client.

I can imagine doing all the request/response handling during connection send/receive part or by registering create_request,process_header , filter hooks. Is there any guideline on which is the right approach. (I have seen https://github.com/FRiCKLE/ngx_zeromq , not exactly what I want)

Thanks

Jai