Removing blank location block causes 404 errors

Francis Daly francis at
Thu Mar 20 20:59:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 04:33:35PM -0400, drhowarddrfine at wrote:

Hi there,

> I was just typing what I think may be the reason. That other location
> blocks may be picking this up and eventually returning a 404 but, with
> that block in there, the image and css requests are getting "handled",
> ie, nothing is done to them at all, and then retrieved from their proper
> directory path.

The "empty" location says "serve from the filesystem", and "start in
the root directory inherited from server level".

The new location that handles the request presumably says something

Francis Daly        francis at