SSL Authentication: $ssl_client_verify

Dustin Oprea myselfasunder at
Fri May 16 04:37:44 UTC 2014

I have the following server configuration for client-authentication:

    ssl on;
    ssl_certificate     /.../certificate.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key /.../private.pem;

    ssl_client_certificate /.../ca_cert.pem;
    ssl_verify_client on;
    ssl_verify_depth 1;

It looks like I get a "Bad Request" (400) when I use a certificate signed
by a different CA. So, what's the point of the ssl_client_verify variable?

>From Nginx's SSL module documentation (

    returns the result of client certificate verification: “SUCCESS”,
“FAILED”, and “NONE” if a certificate was not present;