Using Domain Names in proxy_pass directive

Shobhit Mishra nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri May 23 11:39:36 UTC 2014

Hi

I am using nginx as reverse proxy with FQDN for the backend server .

My configuration for the location block looks like this :-

location / {

  set $ustreamsbc  sbc.example.com ;
  proxy_pass  HTTPS://$ustreamsbc   ;

                proxy_next_upstream error timeout invalid_header http_500
http_502 http_503 http_504;

                proxy_connect_timeout 10s ;
                include /usr/local/nginx/conf/proxy.conf ;

                proxy_redirect     off;
      }

I have a resolver in place for this FQDN  and its running fine.

My doubt is that if I change the mapped IP for this FQDN in the DNS server ,
would nginx re-resolve the FQDN to the new IP for all the future requests.

Also does nginx honor TTL  for all the FQDN stored in variables as shown
above ??

Thanks and Regards

Shobhit Mishra

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,250307,250307#msg-250307