reverse proxy through upstream proxy

Francis Daly francis at
Sat May 31 09:12:33 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 11:03:42PM -0400, pba wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm trying to configure nginx as a reverse proxy where the upstream traffic
> has to go through another proxy (squid in this case) without success.

I believe that nginx as a client can speak http to a http server, and
http-over-ssl to a https server, but does not speak proxied-http to a
http proxy server.

> Any ideas how to solve this or if there are alternative solutions to what
> I'm trying to achieve ?

As I see it, you can:

(a) encourage someone to patch nginx for your use case; or

(b) configure your squid so that it responds to http, not just

Option (b) is probably less work. Look for either "transparent" or
"reverse proxy" within the squid documentation, and see if it is
appropriate for your setup.

Francis Daly        francis at