How to use Nginx to restrict access to everyfiles to 127.0.0.1, except the php files in /

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Nov 13 12:46:42 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 03:33:03AM -0500, carlg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It works, but i am still able to access the php files inside the restricted
> directories.  I tried with :
>
> location /myfolder/(.+)\.php$ {
> deny all;
> }
>
> But this doesn't work!

If you followed what I suggested, you should not be able to access
anything _unless_ it's explicitly allowed.  I suspect you've added
something like "location ~ \.php$ { allow all; ...}" - and this is
what causes your problems.  Remove it, and start again with
exact match locations, as previously suggested.

> Also, i cannot make this method work nice with our clean url's.  We are
> using :

By introducing various rewriting in nginx configuration you make
your life harder.  That's your deliberate choice.  Igor recently
gave a talk about this, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWRYbLKsS0I

http://nginx.org/