HTTP access not working from Chrome, only HTTPS

daniel.leandro nginx-forum at
Sun Oct 12 16:30:21 UTC 2014

Hi, people.

I 'm trying to publish IBM Connections by NGINX allowing access using both
HTTP and HTTPS . By HTTPS is working but when I try to access by HTTP I get
this error in Google Chrome only:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with
it. The document tree is shown below.
<error xmlns="">
You are not authorized to perform the requested action.
In Firefox there is no error message , but the page does not load correctly
. In Internet Explorer it opens normally. Internally it works in any
browser. I believe I need some additional configuration in Nginx. My code

upstream {
    server  weight=100000;   #LAN/Connections address
server {
    listen        ;                   #DMZ/NGINX
    listen         default ssl;
    ssl_session_cache    shared:SSL:1m;
    ssl_session_timeout  10m;
    ssl_certificate /etc/nginx/ssl/connections.cer;
    ssl_certificate_key /etc/nginx/ssl/connections.pem;
    ssl_verify_client off;
    ssl_protocols        SSLv3 TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;
    ssl_ciphers RC4:HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5;
    ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
    location / {
      proxy_set_header    X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
       proxy_next_upstream timeout;

In the Nginx log file, I saw these messages when trying to access from
Google Chrome:

"POST /homepage/j_security_check HTTP/1.1" 403 161
"" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.124
Safari/537.36" "-"

SSL_do_handshake() failed (SSL: error:140770FC:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol) while SSL handshaking to
upstream, client:, server:, request:
"GET /homepage HTTP/1.1", upstream: "", host:

Any help will be appreciated. If you need aditional information, please ask.
Thanks you in advance.