fastcgi_index - am I missing something obvious?

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Thu Oct 16 11:36:44 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 07:40:17AM +0200, Sandra Snan wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 00:02:11 +0100, Francis Daly <francis at daoine.org> wrote:

Hi there,

> > Can you show the output of "grep SCRIPT /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params"
> > on the servers? (One output is fine, if the two are identical.)
>
> This was the problem; the non-working server had a
> fastcgi_param	SCRIPT_FILENAME		$request_filename;
> line that I commented out, restarted nginx and now it's working.

Good stuff. Any difference is a bad difference, when things should be
the same ;-)

> The working server was missing that line.
> Both had a SCRIPT_NAME line, which I didn't change.

All of the fastcgi_param handling is pretty much down to the fastcgi
server, and different servers do different things, so there isn't always
a single recipe that nginx can use.

> 2. assuming that a SCRIPT_FILENAME line in the included file would be
> harmless since I also had a
> fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME  /usr/lib$fastcgi_script_name;
> line in the specific server conf, without doublechecking order of
> evaluation.

That suggests that your current fastcgi server uses the *first* unique
fastcgi_param value that it receives. So if you had put the fastcgi_param
line before the include line in your nginx config, you probably would
not have seen this problem (until something changed).

> Francis, thanks for taking the time to helping me troubleshoot this.
> I was seriously stuck.

Good to hear that it is resolved.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org