Trying to Understand Upstream Keepalive

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Wed Oct 29 16:29:47 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 08:01:33PM -0400, newnovice wrote:

> Maxim,
> I would like to know what is the keepalive timeout for this connection pool?
> Is it static?

As of now, there is no timeout on nginx side.  Connections are
closed either by backends or if there isn't enough room in
the cache.

> Also i want to understand - if there is a marriage between number of
> connections nginx gets vs how many it opens to upstream?

This depends on how long it takes to process a request (as well as
various other factors).  As long as backends are fast enough, one
connection to upstream may be enough to handle tens or hundreds of
client connections.

Maxim Dounin