connection timeout on download server

mojiz nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Aug 7 01:44:18 UTC 2015

Hi
I have an nginx setup on multiple download servers. I've setup a monitor
server to check my servers at interval and when the servers seem to be at
their peak I get connection timeout from my servers. I've set limit_conn 64
for each remote_ip
to make sure one user can't hog the server.
today when I was receiving the timeout warnings, I checked the stub status
of my server and it seems the server connection is nowhere near it's
limits.
This is the stub status page:
Server 1:
Active connections: 764
server accepts handled requests
 326451 326451 346395
Reading: 0 Writing: 604 Waiting: 160

Server 2:
Active connections: 426
server accepts handled requests
 538407 538407 576918
Reading: 0 Writing: 418 Waiting: 8

However my config files are way too high:

worker_processes 1;
pid /run/nginx.pid;
worker_rlimit_nofile  90000;

events {
        worker_connections 64000;
        multi_accept on;
}
http{
       #aio on;   turned off for linux
        upload_progress uploads 5m;
        sendfile off;
        output_buffers 1 1m;
        directio 512;
        tcp_nopush on;
        tcp_nodelay on;
        types_hash_max_size 2048;
        server_tokens off;
        server_names_hash_bucket_size 128;
        variables_hash_max_size 1024;

}
server{
# limit perip
limit_rate_after        1m;
limit_rate              96k;
limit_conn  perip       64;
}

nginx version: nginx/1.6.2
Linux s17 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3~deb8u1 (2015-04-24)
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Am I missing something? Is there another connection limitation I should know
of?

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,260839,260839#msg-260839