Rewrite rules for "random" subfolders

Muffel2k nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Aug 14 10:22:23 UTC 2015

Hey,

I would like to migrate my page from a webhoster to my own vServer running
Nginx. So far I got everything up and running EXCEPT these stupid .htaccess
file. Let me explain:

My site contains several galleries with slideshows. When you are watching
one of those you click a link which looks like this

"DOMAIN/galleries/album-set/album-2/DSC01154-single.php"

(only DOMAIN/galleries and -single.php) are fixed. The rest can vary. Those
links are generated by Lightroom and a plugin and during this process a
.htaccess file will be copied into each folder. The content looks like
this:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)-single.*php$ single.php?id=$1 [L]
</IfModule>

This makes my link
DOMAIN/galleries/album-set/album-2/DSC01154-single.php
point to this
DOMAIN/galleries/album-set/album-2/single.php?id=DSC01154

as you can see, the "DSC01154" will be passed through. I am trying for
several days to create a rewrite rule for Nginx doing the same without
killing my page.

Does anyone knows a solution for this?

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,261008,261008#msg-261008