preventing requests with unknown host names

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Fri Aug 21 07:30:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:35:58PM -0700, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
> On 8/20/2015 3:55 PM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:

Hi there,

I do not know the full answer to your question.

> when I tried to add listen for port 443 it broke the https for requests
> with the valid hostname as well.
>
> ## disable http server for requests with unknown hosts
> server {
>
>     listen      IP:80     default_server;
> #   listen      IP:443    default_server;    # breaks all https??
>     return      444;
> }
>
> what's the trick to do the same for https without breaking the requests
> for https://myhost/ ?

You will need at least a proper ssl configuration in that server{}
block -- possibly setting it at http level.

See, for example,
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/configuring_https_servers.html#name_based_https_servers

In general, the ssl hostname that the browser wants to connect to is
not available until after the ssl negotiation has happened.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org