Load balancing based on hash of the domain

Bram Verdonck bramverdonck at telenet.be
Tue Dec 15 09:13:35 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I wish to use load balancing in front of a shared webhosting cluster with multiple domains.
To make optimal use of resources, it would make sense to do load balancing based on domain instead of random or based on IP.
I noticed that there is a hash parameter but I’m unable to use $server_name or $host as a parameter, only $request_uri and $remote_addr.

Is there any way that I could use $server_name?

In my opinion it makes no sense to randomize all requests for the different domains and would make sense to load balance based on a hash of the domain.

Regards,

Bram