serve precompressed files without also serving their uncompressed counterparts

snieuwen nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Dec 22 16:01:19 UTC 2015

Hi,

Is it possible to serve precompressed files without serving their
uncompressed counterparts?

For example:
/var/www/ contains index.html.gz, but no index.html. How do I configure
nginx to respond with index.html.gz when the client supports gzip or let
nginx decompress the file on the fly when the client does not support gzip?

Based on this answer on stackoverflow http://serverfault.com/a/611757, I am
currently using the following configuration:

location / {
    try_files $uri $uri/ @application;
    root /var/www;
    gzip_static on;
    gunzip on;
}

@application configures the application server.
When I try get the index.html page, nginx return a 403 forbidden error.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,263641,263641#msg-263641