nginx modsecurity on Debian 8

Thierry lenaigst at maelenn.org
Wed Dec 23 12:21:50 UTC 2015

Hi,

A bit lost ...
I know nothing concerning nginx, I am more confortable with Apache2.
I am using an email server who is using nginx on debian 8.
I would need to install modsecurity as module.
I have understood that I need to compile from the working directory of
nginx ....

./configure --add-module=/opt/ModSecurity-nginx

But how to deal with it if nginx as been installed from binary (debian
package) ?

I have followed these instructions:

 $ sudo dnf install gcc-c++ flex bison curl-devel curl yajl yajl-devel GeoIP-devel doxygen
$ cd /opt/
$ git clone https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity
$ cd ModSecurity
$ git checkout libmodsecurity
$ sh build.sh
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install
$ cd /opt/
$ git clone https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity-nginx
$ cd /opt/Modsecurity-nginx
$ git checkout experimental
$ cd /opt/
$ wget http://nginx.org/download/nginx-1.9.2.tar.gz
$ tar -xvzf nginx-1.9.2.tar.gz
$ yum install zlib-devel
$ ./configure --add-module=/opt/ModSecurity-nginx

Everything went fine until the last ./configure ....
I  didn't  apply  what's  between  " *** " because my nginx server is
already installed and working.

Any ideas ?

Thx
--