SSI URI path decoding/encoding issue

Martin Grotzke martin.grotzke at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 24 22:20:04 UTC 2015

Hi,

we experienced an issue with SSIs (include virtual): nginx at first decodes
the URI path and encodes it before passing the request to the upstream. If
an URI path segment contains %2F (encoded slash), the decoded slash is not
encoded again so that the request sent to the upstream differs from the
original request. Other characters are not encoded as expected as well (at
least the backtick, I've not checked it for others).

I've described this issue more detailed here (also with debug logs):
https://inoio.de/blog/2015/12/22/integrating-SCSs-be-careful-with-SSIs/

Does it make sense to submit an issue for this, or is there an explanation
for this behavior / is it intentional?

Thanks && cheers,
Martin