nginx dows't serve compressed static .html files. is it a bug?

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Feb 4 22:53:20 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 11:36:04PM +0200, peter petrov wrote:

>  In my previous post I explained what tried and didn't manage to it. I
>  attached nginx.conf file. I'll
>  be very grateful is somebody show me a successful way to do this.

http://nginx.org/r/gzip_static

  gzip_static on;

curl -i --compressed http://localhost/file.html

will get file.html.gz if it exists, with "Content-Encoding: gzip";
or file.html if that exists, or 404.

Check the "bytes sent" field in your access_log to see which was
sent. Omit the "--compressed" in the curl command to see the difference.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org