Use of Certs

Darren Pilgrim list_nginx at bluerosetech.com
Mon Jan 5 20:10:29 UTC 2015

On 12/29/2014 11:36 AM, Peter Fraser wrote:
> Hi All
> I am very new to nginx and am currently doing a lot of reading but would
> just love to have a nudge in the right direction
>
> I want to set up nginx as a reverse proxy for about three IIS servers
> behind a firewall.
> One of them is a public web server that handles secure logins. It is
> configured with a certificate signed by a CA. Do I need to import the
> web server's private key on to the nginx box or is this something I
> don't need to worry about?

If you want nginx to proxy HTTPS connections, it needs to be the SSL
endpoint.  In that case, nginx needs the certificate and key so it
presents the correct credentials to the client.  Without it, the most
you could do is port-forward 443 on the nginx box to the secure server
behind it (i.e., no proxying at all).