Will this work, is it the best way?

Lloyd Chang lloydchang at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 16:21:55 UTC 2015

Hello Steve,

• Best answer is try and see if it meets your expectations; thanks

• While reading your snippet, my initial questions are — Why 2 servers?
Why not simplify?

• In your proposal: server1, listen to ?? TCP port(s) on public IPv4,
and IPv6 to proxy_pass to server2, then server2 listen on public IPv6, and
IPv4 to proxy_pass to subdomain, with upstream (perhaps for load
balance and/or failover?) — As you agree, this is slightly complicated

• Why not simplify? — Reconfigure DNS for cname-server1 to
server2, for IPv4 and IPv6

• In your snippet, server2 supports IPv4 and IPv6 if you expect it to
upstream via private IPv4 127.0.0.1:[…]

• I don't fully understand why server2 upstream isn't IPv6 ::1:[…]
considering your primary intent for server2 is IPv6 usage

• Perhaps you meant upstream localhost:[…] to try both IPv4 and IPv6? Thanks

Cheers,
Lloyd