proxy_pass redirection

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Thu Jul 23 12:14:59 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 11:26:11AM +0200, Puneeth Kumar wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm able to configured Nginx and it's working but I've challenge in
> configuring it for Dynamic proxy_pass. I've tried to use wild characters
> in proxy_pass it's not working, please help.

The proxy_pass documentation is at http://nginx.org/r/proxy_pass.

I am not sure what you mean by "dynamic".

You want to make one http request of nginx; and you want nginx to make
one http request of the proxy_pass upstream server.

Can you give some examples of the request you make to nginx, and the
request that you want nginx to make of upstream?

That might make clearer what it is you want to do.

Note that if you use

  location /one/ {
    proxy_pass http://upstream/two/;
  }

then if you make a request of /one/abc, nginx will make a request of
/two/abc to upstream; and if you make a request of /one/def, nginx will
make a request of /two/def to upstream.

Is that what you mean by "dynamic"? If so, things should Just Work. If
you mean something else, please explain.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org