403 errors with standard browser, pages work with GUI browser

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Wed Jul 29 15:00:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

I’ve run across several websites where I get a 403 error when
I connect to them with my standard webbrowser (lynx), yet the
very same URIs work with the GUI browser fallback (Firef*x).

Example link:

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2015/07/new-patent-pool-wants-share-of-revenue-from-content-owners.html

Output from webbrowser:

←←←                                                                                            403 Forbidden
                                              403 Forbidden

                                                  nginx

All of these sites is common that they have an nginx error
message, so this must be connected to your software somehow.

To add insult to injury, this appears to be dependent on
the User-Agent HTTP header: “Mozilla/5.0 (compatible)”
works, “Lynx/2.8.9dev.6” works, “Lynx/2.8.9dev.6 libwww-FM/2.14”
doesn’t, nor “Mozilla/5.0 (compatible) libwww-FM/2.14”.

It appears that there is some blacklist on some component
of my webbrowser. Please kindly remove it.

Thanks,
//mirabilos
--
>> Why don't you use JavaScript? I also don't like enabling JavaScript in
> Because I use lynx as browser.
+1
	-- Octavio Alvarez, me and ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ (Mario Lang) on debian-devel