Redirect on specific threshold !!

shahzaib shahzaib shahzaib.cb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 17:12:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

   We're using Nginx to serve videos on one of our Storage server(contains
mp4 videos) and due to high amount of requests we're planning to have a
separate caching Node based on Fast SSD drives to serve "Hot" content in
order to reduce load from Storage. We're planning to have following method
for caching :

If there are exceeding 1K requests for http://storage.domain.com/test.mp4 ,
nginx should  construct a Redirect URL for rest of the requests related to
test.mp4 i.e http://cache.domain.com/test.mp4 and entertain the rest of
requests for test.mp4 from Caching Node while long tail would still be
served from storage.

So, can we achieve this approach with nginx or other like varnish ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
Shahzaib