Fake video sharing Android App !!

Gena Makhomed gmm at csdoc.com
Mon Mar 16 11:19:43 UTC 2015

On 16.03.2015 13:09, shahzaib shahzaib wrote:

> Guys, someone cloned our videosharing website and created a FAKE android
> application using same name as our website and people considering it as
> our app, which is not. The main problem we're facing is, the videos
> being served from this android application are hotlinked to our server
> due to which we're the one affected by its bandwidth cost.
>
> Webserver is nginx and hotlinking is already enabled but the issue with
> no Referer_Header for the requests being generated by this android
> application.
>
> What precautions should we take to prevent this application by using our
> server's bandwidth ?

Probably you can use
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_secure_link_module.html

to completely prevent hotlinking
from any other applications and not authorized users.

but secret must not be included inside your android application,
and secure links must be generated only on server and only
for allowed (authorized) android applications and users.

--
Best regards,
  Gena