Google dumps SPDY in favour of HTTP/2, any plans for nginx?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Mar 17 14:43:35 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 03:01:09PM +0100, Daniël Mostertman wrote:

> Maxim Dounin schreef op 17-3-2015 om 14:49:
> >Hello!
> >
> >On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 09:49:04AM -0400, alexandru.eftimie wrote:
> >
> >>Will there be support for http/2 for upstream connections? I can't seem to
> >>find anything about this online ( either SPDY or HTTP/2 for upstream
> >>connections )
> >No, and there are no plans.
> I don't see why it wouldn't be. HTTP/2 is *not* the same kind as SPDY.
> HTTP/2 is an actual HTTP, and does not even require protocol renegotiation
> support.
> HTTP/2 support plans were announced on Feb 25, 2015:
> http://nginx.com/blog/how-nginx-plans-to-support-http2/
>
> HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 are supported for upstreams, so it only makes sense
> HTTP/2 follows suit.

In no particular order:

- No, HTTP/2 isn't "an actual HTTP".  It's a completely different protocol,
  mostly based on SPDY.

- As previously said, there are no plans to support neither HTTP/2
  nor SPDY for upstream connections.

Feel free to provide patches if you think it's something needed.
Most likely you'll understand the reasons "why it wouldn't be"
while working on the patches.

http://nginx.org/