SSL backend support for imap proxy

doachs nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Mar 19 14:35:27 UTC 2015

>From what I can see in the forum archives, the mail/imap proxy does not
support encrypted connections to a backend imap server.  This still appears
to be the case with the latest mainline version.  Are there any plans to add
that?  It would be really great if our nginx imap proxy server could talk to
our imap servers directly over a secure connection and not require stunnel
or some other work around.

Additionally, it would really help us out with a current issue we are
facing.  We would really like to be able to proxy imap connections for some
of our users to imap.gmail.com and to our local imap server for other users.
 However imap.gmail.com only supports a secure imap connection and testing
with stunnel still fails ( we get  "upstream sent invalid response" error ).
 Has anyone successfully gotten nginx to proxy imap connections to
imap.gmail.com? If so, I would really like to hear how you did it.

The flexibility of nginx as an imap proxy has been wonderful and having it
be able to talk to imap.gmail.com and do ssl would make it that much more
amazing.

Thanks,
        Dan

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,257439,257439#msg-257439