Default value of gzip_proxied

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Sat Mar 21 15:05:05 UTC 2015

Hello Maxim,

So HTTP/1.0 is the reason of all that.
Now I also understand why there are those parameters allowing to compress
data that should not be cached: nginx as webserver tries to be smarter than
those dumb HTTP/1.0 proxies.

I was wondering, though: are there real numbers to back this compatibility
thing?
Is not there a point in time when the horizon could be set, denying
backwards compatibility for older software/standards?

HTTP/1.1, is the most used version of the protocol, nginx supports SPDY,
HTTP/2.0 is coming... and there are strangeness there for
backwards-compatibility with HTTP/1.0.
That behavior made us cache uncompressed content 'randomly' since the
pattern was hard to find/reproduce, and I got a bit of luck determining the
condition under which we were caching uncompressed data...

What is the ratio benefits/costs of dropping compatibility (at least
partially) with HTTP/1.0?
I know I am being naive here, considering the most part of the Web is
HTTP/1.1-compliant, but how far am I for reality?
---
*B. R.*