SSL Session Cache on Windows

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun May 17 03:31:59 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:30:11PM -0700, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:

> hi,
>
> I know that in the past the directive:
>
>     ssl_session_cache   shared:SSL:1m;
>
> did not work on Windows.
>
> in nginx 1.9.0 I see "*) Feature: shared memory can now be used on
> Windows versions with address space layout randomization."
>
> does that mean that ssl_session_cache can be used on Windows now?  if
> so, is 1m a good value?

Yes, now ssl_session_cache with shared cache can be used on all
versions of Windows.  It's not really a big deal though, as
ssl_session_cache with builtin cache was available all the time,
and there is no serious difference as it's not possible to use
multiple worker processes on Windows.

The 1m is expected to store about 4000 sessions, see
http://nginx.org/r/ssl_session_cache.  This is enough assuming
less sessions are created during ssl_session_timeout (5m by
default).

http://nginx.org/