notification on child process exit

Nelson, Erik - 2 erik.l.nelson at bankofamerica.com
Sun May 17 14:35:37 UTC 2015

J.J J wrote on Sunday, May 17, 2015 2:54 AM

>Signal handler is ngx_signal_handler which in worker process does
>nothing but log exit code and release possible holded mutexes,
>only master process reap child by setting ngx_reap to 1 and spawn
>it in ngx_reap_children if registed in ngx_processes(worker, loader, manager)
>
>So no, you can't, but you can implement this logic yourself.

Understood, thanks.  I guess I'll just add a --no-reap-unknown command line argument to suppress reaping of unknown processes.

>On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 9:22 PM, Nelson, Erik wrote:
>>I fork + exec child processes and I would like to get some
>>kind of notification when they exit.  However, the nginx
>>signal handler reaps my child processes and logs a message like
>>
>>2015/05/14 14:12:24 [notice] 28033#0: signal 17 (SIGCHLD) received
>>2015/05/14 14:12:24 [notice] 28033#0: unknown process 28044 exited with code 1
>>
>>Nginx knows that this process isn't one of its own children-
>>is there some way I can either register interest in my child process,
>>or get an event sent to me somehow on child exit?

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer.   If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.