403 forbidden with lynx www browser

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sun Nov 22 17:25:11 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 03:05:25PM +1100, Sylvain BERTRAND wrote:

Hi there,

> On many nginx powered web sites, I must not send the user agent or I'll get a
> 403 forbidden.

The administrators of those web sites do not want you as a customer.

Probably they have configured their servers to deny any request that
includes "libwww" in the User-Agent.

You could contact them and ask them to allow your preferred user-agent;
you could adjust your user-agent string so that it does not match their
presumed block list until they change it; or you could not visit those
sites and encourage others not to visit them too.

If you tell them why you are not visiting their sites, maybe they will
change their configuration to welcome you.

But unless the nginx.org (or possibly nginx.com) web sites are among
the sites that block you, there's probably not much that readers of this
list can do about it.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org