403 forbidden with lynx www browser

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Nov 24 12:57:21 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 10:00:01AM +1100, Sylvain BERTRAND wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 07:31:15PM +0000, Nelson, Erik - 2 wrote:
> > B.R. Monday, November 23, 2015 2:26 PM
> >
> > >​There is a difference between 'only websites I visit which happen to
> > >use nginx' and 'every nginx websites'
> >
> > That may be true, but it's missing the point.  This has come up before on the
> > ML.  The point is that he has observed something systemic.  Maybe it's a
> > default configuration that's tighter (as he suggested), maybe it's that
> > admins who use nginx just hate lynx, or maybe it's something else.
> >
> > Whatever it is, there's *something* about nginx that's different.
>
> You got it right.
>
> The last web site... a friend sent me the link (:p), had to remove the user-agent from http headers.
> http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/hacker-collective-anonymous-claims-isis-has-plans-for-more-attacks-on-sunday/

The site in question uses CloudFlare, a big CDN and DDoS
protection system known to use nginx.  It's not really a surprise
that a DDoS protection service uses an aggresive blocking policy
not very friendly to various minor browsers.  Nothing here that
can be fixed by nginx though, and writing to this list is likely
useless (well, some people from CloudFlare are likely to read this
list, but I doubt they'll notice this thread, and anyway it's a
wrong way to contact them).

http://nginx.org/