1.9.5 slower then 1.9.4 or 1.8.0 on static files

Konstantin Pavlov thresh at nginx.com
Thu Oct 1 18:24:00 UTC 2015

Hello,

On 01/10/2015 11:19, Francis Daly wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 10:33:41AM -0400, itpp2012 wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
>> If the config hasn't changed there's only one thing you can do, build debug
>> versions, enable debug logging and run Curl against a single file on both
>> versions, then run a diff between the logs, or place on pastebin so we all
>> can have a look.
>
> Alternatively (addressed to the OP):
>
> nginx -V and nginx.conf and whatever else it takes to allow someone to
> reproduce your problem.
>
> For what it's worth, when I build nginx 1.9.4 and 1.9.5 with just
> --with-debug, and with the mostly-empty nginx.conf below, I see no
> difference when fetching a 1kB file or a 30MB file over http.
>
> ===
> events { }
> http {
>     server {
>         listen 8195;
>     }
> }
> ===
>
> http/2 was mentioned; perhaps that is an essential component of the
> difference. Or perhaps it's a different module or configuration directive.

I should also add that I've ran tests using Fabian Santiago's
configurations (sent privately) and there is no difference between
1.8.0, 1.9.3, 1.9.4 and 1.9.5 on it.

I've also manually ran a series of tests on 1.9.3-1.9.5 which involved
fetching static data via http (both fitting to RAM and with dataset way
larger than RAM to exclude VM cache) and I see no change in
speed/latency between those versions.

So, yeah, to reiterate for the thread starters: if you're interested in
getting that fixed, please provide as much information is possible.
We're interested in keeping nginx fast but there is only so much one can
do without proper testbed to reproduce the problem (if there is one).

Thanks!

--
Konstantin Pavlov