Nginx realip vs proxypass

Marcello Lorenzi cello86 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 10:44:51 UTC 2015

Hi All
we're testing a new nginx implementation to put in front our web
application to retrieve the X-Forwarded-For header sent by an external
reverse proxy and configure it as realip address of the requests forwarded
to we app.

We have installed nginx with the realip module and from the access log we
can see the real IP address sent by X-Forwarded-For header but if we try to
forward the request to the web application via proxypass the address sent
is the IP of the nginx instance.

Is it possible via proxypass to present the real IP?

Thanks,
Marcello