nginx: worker process is shutting down

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Oct 22 21:05:56 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 04:27:05PM +0300, Christos Chatzaras wrote:

> Every time I do "nginx -s reload" I see a process:
>
> nginx: worker process is shutting down
>
> This process never stops even after a long time.
>
> Any idea what cause this issue?

When shutting down, nginx waits for all active requests to be
finished (internally - by closing any idle connections while and
checking if there are any pending timers left).  This may take a
long time, especially when using long polling or similar things.

If you see that shutting down never finishes though, and there are
no live connections as your lsof output suggests - this may
indicate a bug.

Note though that this can be easily caused by a 3rd party module,
so as a first step I would recommend checking "nginx -V" output
and recompiling without any 3rd party modules if there are any
(3rd party modules are explicitly marked in the port options).

[...]

http://nginx.org/