Set up version control of local files with the help of nginx server

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sat Oct 31 08:40:37 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 08:41:38PM +0200, Tie Cheng wrote:

Hi there,

> I have bought a dedicated server from DigitalOcean, and configured nginx.
>
> I want to version control my local files, and I am wondering if I could
> commit and update them from time to time to this server.

nginx is a web server.

version control is independent of a web server.

So you should be able to pick whatever version control system you want,
and if it provides a web interface, reverse proxy to that through nginx.

But the web interface may not provide all the version control
facilities. And if it uses more than GET and POST (DAV parts, for
example), it may be more tricky.

> It seems that the setup is not straightforward (some posts say that we have
> to use Apache for svn). I don't mind if it is svn or git, I just want to
> follow an easy approach.

I would suggest: first pick the version control system that you want to use.

Then search for "that and nginx" to see if there is a recipe that someone
else says works.

> Could any one help?

I could say "use fossil in scgi mode"; but if you have reasons to prefer
svn, then that wouldn't be helpful.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org