Nginx with Varnish as a proxy. Phantom Port 80

Francis Daly francis at
Fri Apr 1 07:12:12 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 12:42:57AM -0400, plutocrat wrote:

Hi there,

> There are no stray listen directives. I've checked many times.
> grep -ril listen /etc/nginx
> Shows only files in sites-enabled and sites-available directories.
> grep -i listen /etc/nginx/sites-enabled
> Shows only port 8080
> grep 80 /etc/nginx/sites-enabled
> Shows only port 8080

"Default" there means that if a server{} block does not have any listen
directive, it is equivalent to "listen *:80" (or "listen *:8080" if
running as non-root).

Your "letsencrypt" server{} block does not have any listen directive.

So add one there -- and to any other similar blocks -- or do not start
nginx as root (and therefore be unable to listen to any port below 1024).

Francis Daly        francis at