Help for nginx proxy pass rule

Roni Baby roni at
Thu Apr 7 04:20:06 UTC 2016

Perfect fix... Able to solve my issues.Thanks Francis

The issue was, I configured these location blocks already in my config file

location ~* ^.+\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|css|png|ico|zip|xspf|swf|ttf|woff|js)$ { for
serving static files directly.

It was over ride the location rule that I used

It started to work my location rule changed it like this as per your

location ^~ /static {

Thanks a Lot
Roni Baby

-----Original Message-----
From: Nginx [mailto:nginx-bounces at] On Behalf Of Francis Daly
Sent: 07 April 2016 03:17
To: nginx at
Subject: Re: Help for Nginx proxy pass rule

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 06:58:07PM +0530, Roni Baby wrote:

Hi there,

> Yes the destination Url [] is
> working perfectly alone Why it tried locally? I used proxypass rule
> for it. If I wanted to do anything to enable proxy capability in my
> Nginx?

Then do something like

  grep location your.conf

to see which location{} blocks you have defined.

Which one of those locations will nginx use to handle this request?

The error log suggests that this request is handled in a location that is
not the one that you showed -- perhaps one defined as something like

  location ~ js$ {

Possibly changing your

> location /static {

  location ^~ /static {

will make it work the way you want. That would tell nginx to choose it
instead of any regex one, for this request.

Separate from that: for the proxy_pass directive, you could probably drop
the "/static" part of the argument since it matches the request prefix.

But until the proxy_pass is actually used, changing it will make no

Francis Daly        francis at

nginx mailing list
nginx at