Proxying to ip-camera

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Fri Apr 8 07:12:02 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 08:45:48AM +0300, wishmaster wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 06:44:08PM +0300, wishmaster wrote:

Hi there,

> > location ^~ /ipcam/ {
> > proxy_pass http://192.168.20.99:80/;
> > }

> Heh, this server block has another locations as well. E.g. location \.css {...} and so on.
> The second problem is I want to proxying location "/ipcam" to "/" on the ip-camera and I think I must use sub module to overwrite pathes of returned css,js in HTML pages.

You can try that.

Alternatively, if you know the (static) list of urls that the ip-camera
uses, you could proxy_pass for each one of those (and make sure that
your main web service does not use any of the same ones). Or, if the
content from those urls is constant, you could just copy the content to
the same urls on your main web server and then not have to proxy_pass
the extra ones.

I suspect it will be easier if you can configure the 192.168.20.99 server
to believe that its application is installed at /ipcam/ instead of /.

And if that is not possible, it may be easier if you use a new server name
for just the camera -- http://ipcam.site.com which just uses proxy_pass
for everything.

In general, I find that it is not trivial to reverse-proxy a web site to
a different hierarchy level in the url space unless the site was written
with that in mind.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org