Does "include" use the "configuration prefix" or the "path prefix"?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Mon Apr 11 19:43:22 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 06:52:25PM +0000, hroku003 at wrote:

> I've read the documentation and it implies the "path prefix"
> would be used for the "include" directive.
> Example: "include  mime.types"
> However, in practice, the "configuration prefix" is always used
> even if the file is found within the "path prefix".
> Is this the correct behaviour?

Yes, this is correct behaviour.  Configuration-specific paths like
in the "include" directive are resolved relative to the conf prefix,
that is, relative to the directory where nginx.conf file resides.

Maxim Dounin