Sending nginx errors to syslog but fuser -u still shows error file open by nginx

CJ Ess zxcvbn4038 at
Wed Apr 20 13:24:52 UTC 2016

I've tried putting this directive into the nginx config file in both the
main and html sections:

error_log syslog:server=,facility=local5 error;

The file tests fine and reloads without issue, however if I do fuser -u on
the error file (which is the same one used by syslog) I see that every
nginx process has it open. Is there anyway to be sure that errors are being
written by syslog and not the nginx process itself?