Sending nginx errors to syslog but fuser -u still shows error file open by nginx

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Apr 20 15:52:13 UTC 2016

Hello!

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 09:24:52AM -0400, CJ Ess wrote:

> I've tried putting this directive into the nginx config file in both the
> main and html sections:
>
> error_log syslog:server=127.0.0.1,facility=local5 error;
>
> The file tests fine and reloads without issue, however if I do fuser -u on
> the error file (which is the same one used by syslog) I see that every
> nginx process has it open. Is there anyway to be sure that errors are being
> written by syslog and not the nginx process itself?

At least one file-based error log must be present.  In particular,
it is used to redirect STDERR (as in some cases written to by
various libraries), and it is also believed to be useful to log
errors of writing to syslog when they happen.  If no file-based
logs are configured, a compiled-in default one will be used.

http://nginx.org/